Re: What is the language "British"?

On Monday 28 August 2006 15:02, Ed Greshko wrote:

> They are not the same in the context of language.  "English" is a
> language while (whilst) "British-English" is regional.  In
> "British-English" defense is written "defence".

I think you've got it the wrong way around. "Defence" is the correct spelling.
In the American regional variation "defence" is written "defense". It's not
the standard way of spelling the word, but it is a fact that many things we
do don't conform to the recognised standard. For instance millions around the
world use the $soft .doc format to store office documents. We all know that
Open Document Format is the ISO standard but people still choose not to
conform.

Dave Fletcher

--
Registered Linux user number 393408