Re: What is the language "British"?

David Fletcher wrote:
> On Monday 28 August 2006 15:02, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> They are not the same in the context of language.  "English" is a
>> language while (whilst) "British-English" is regional.  In
>> "British-English" defense is written "defence".
>
> I think you've got it the wrong way around. "Defence" is the correct spelling.

Both are correct.

> In the American regional variation "defence" is written "defense". It's not
> the standard way of spelling the word, but it is a fact that many things we
> do don't conform to the recognised standard. For instance millions around the
> world use the $soft .doc format to store office documents. We all know that
> Open Document Format is the ISO standard but people still choose not to
> conform.

There is no such thing as "correct" and "incorrect" when it comes to
comparing "British English" with "American English.  Colour=Color.  One
is the correct spelling in "British English" the other is the correct
spelling in "American English".

Why is it that one side has to be "correct/right" and the other side
"incorrect/wrong".  I don't get it.

Some folks refer to the box structure that goes up and down on cables
within a building as an "elevator".  Others call it a "lift".  Both are
correct.

--
Coach "Bear" Bryant: "Who in the hell is that?"
High School Coach: "That there is Forrest Gump, coach -