Re: Crappy HDDs Killing Computers

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 13:04 +0100, Andy Green wrote:
> Chong Yu Meng wrote:
>
> > Let's all wait for the other shoe to drop.
>
> After three hours on the different powersupply one of the drives (with
> no SATA connection) has spontaneously started clunking every few seconds
> and has twice spun down and up again.  When I picked it up to read the
> label it stopped clunking briefly then resumed.
>
> Samsung SP2504C 250GB

Samsung ???? Auuugh!! There are four drive manufacturers I try to stay
away from: IBM/Hitachi, Maxtor, Fujitsu and Samsung. I guess that just
leaves Seagate and Western Digital. Incidentally, those are the 2 oldest
drives that I still have that still work. A 80MB Western Digital
(remember when 80MB was huge ?) and a 18GB Seagate SCSI in a external
casing.

Of course, my experience is completely subjective and a lot depends on
your luck. From my previous experience as tech support for a hardware
reseller (RMA) many years ago, I learned that there are batches
occasionally that slip through Quality Control either because of a new
undetected fault or a change in their Quality testing. If you happen to
be one of the "victims", it can be especially frustrating because other
users may testify to the reliability of the brand, when you are tearing
your hair out wondering if you are crazy.

Also, there are the hard disks that "fall off the back of the truck" --
hijacked shipments that may or may not contain good drives. It's
probably a smaller problem in the West, but it used to be a big problem
in Asia.

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur