Re: DVD burner incredibly slow after processor upgrade

Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All
>
> After an upgrade of the processor and motherboard of my computer, the
> DVD burner became incredibly slow when burning (speed 1.4x). Can one
> restore the old performance of my burner? I am running kernel-smp on a
> FC5 machine with a P4 Dual Core processor. My DVD burner is a NEC
> 3520A.

Most likely, you don't have DMA any more on your burner.

Check with

hdparm /dev/hdc

if your burner is named hdc.

If it isn't on, try this:

hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

and see if it helps. If you can't turn DMA on, you might
not have support for your IDE controller in your kernel.

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk@xxxxxx Homepage: http://www.crc.dk