Re: DVD burner incredibly slow after processor upgrade

On 8/18/06, Mogens Kjaer <mk@xxxxxx> wrote:
> After an upgrade of the processor and motherboard of my computer, the
> DVD burner became incredibly slow when burning (speed 1.4x). Can one
> restore the old performance of my burner? I am running kernel-smp on a
> FC5 machine with a P4 Dual Core processor. My DVD burner is a NEC
> 3520A.

Most likely, you don't have DMA any more on your burner.

Check with

hdparm /dev/hdc

if your burner is named hdc.

If it isn't on, try this:

hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

and see if it helps. If you can't turn DMA on, you might
not have support for your IDE controller in your kernel.

Thanks, Mogens. The result of your suggestion was:

# /sbin/hdparm /dev/dvd

/dev/dvd:
IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
using_dma    =  0 (off)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
HDIO_GETGEO failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
#

What can I do now?

Paul