Re: Fedora Core 5 Issues

On Thursday 17 August 2006 14:07, Andy Green wrote:
> Yes they tell you 'it's broken' and then there is a silence while you
> wait to hear why they think it's broken, and they wait for you to fix it.

Yep.  Amazing how they think we can read minds huh?

> Well you are firing on a lot of cylinders there the only thin difference
> is are you running a kernel from the last 6-8 weeks or so?  I guess not
> on those unrebooted Opterons.  I don't have any basis for my suspicion
> except that the behaviours on my box of knocking two HDDs to death from
> different manufacturers and the fact it was fine for a good long while
> beforehand.  And I guess I know there is libata and kernelside work to
> do with ATA in kernels around that time.  But it can as easily, well,
> more easily, be a powersupply problem in my case.

Actually, I do have 3 FC5 x86_64 boxes that I just updated a week or so ago
and rebooted to the latest kernel.  So far, I've need so trouble with them.
2 have SATA drives, one is an IDE boot drive but 2 3Ware SATA RAID cards
holding about 2.5TB data out of 4TB usable that we use as an archive location
for the last 7 days' worth of NWS radar data for our friends at NCDC.  They
have the largest repository of weather data on the planet and if they have a
problem, they can get any missing data from us. (We provide them the primary
feeds as well.)  These boxes don't get hammered like the others, but they
aren't eating drives either.

--
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415