Re: Fedora Core 5 Issues

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 17:48 +0200, Roger wrote:

<snip>

> I did not even have the Graphical aspect of Fedora installed i
> installed just the bare minimum and for some reason a lot of things
> were installed that i did not specify instance the Bluetooth, it was
> causing my server to crash and i removed that, i removed exim
> basically all i did was remove... remove... until the thing was making
> my hard drives die.

Hi Roger,

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I am also running a production
server on FC5, but I haven't had the same kind of stability problems you
are facing. Of course, I am only running a web server on it right now --
no X, no mail, no SATA, old Celeron motherboard.

I find that it is always a good idea, after an install of any Linux (not
just Fedora), to prune away all the packages that you will not need. Not
just for stability, but also so that there are fewer vulnerabilities.
Also, when setting up for certain applications, such as Oracle, you will
need to tune kernel parameters, and for Java, previously you needed to
add a parameter so it would not segfault. Network settings also
frequently need to be adjusted. I always tell the younger engineers that
Linux is not like Windows or even Solaris/AIX/HPUX, which seem to "just
work" out of the box. Linux (any kind) for the server takes 2 days to a
week to tune it just right -- even RHEL requires some pruning and
tuning.

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur