Re: Fedora Core 5 Issues

How long did you try running your athlone, hopefully longer than 7 days and what services were running on it, were they production type services .

I was hosting just over 1000 domains on FC5 and with very disastrous consequences so i have moved away from FC5 and another friend of mine with a lot more Linux experience tried unsuccessfully to run a production server on FC5.

I think for experimenting with it and using it as a personal desktop machine etc. etc. it runs very well, but not when your income depends on it.

I did not even have the Graphical aspect of Fedora installed i installed just the bare minimum and for some reason a lot of things were installed that i did not specify instance the Bluetooth, it was causing my server to crash and i removed that, i removed exim basically all i did was remove... remove... until the thing was making my hard drives die.

The guys at Red Hat have a lot of work to do because FC5 is a load of trash, i tried to upgrade my kernel and it did not work, so i guess some of the nifty that FC5 comes with are a direct trade off for stabilty, the only reason i opted for FC5 was because FC3 did not have SATA drivers for my server so i hastily put together a small machine with 768MB memory and 40G hard  drive and i am running Qmail with MySQL integration there and so far the machine has not complained(I am touching wood by the way!!!).

It has to be back to the work bench for FC5, i hear they have already released FC6!

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 15:04 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Roger wrote:

> FC5 is not a production type software, its probably meant for hobbyists or
> someone who is experimenting with things that are not mission critical.

I don't agree with that.
In my experience it is neither more nor less "stable"
than any other Linux distribution.

I actually tried running my Athlon-64 machine in text mode,
and it did not crash -
so presumably the problem lies in the X server, as I suspected,
and would presumably have occurred with any distribution
with this version of Xorg.
(I have a Radeon 9600 card, and others have reported problems with this.)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366