Re: SMP Kernel on non-SMP Machine

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 02:09:20PM -0600, Ski Dawg wrote:
> Now, we used to do this at work (on RHEL) without any problems. We also
> installed the SMP kernel on machines that were single processor with no
> hyperthreading. We did this so that developers were working with the
> same kernel, no matter which machine they were using. Everything ran
> just fine with the SMP kernel on all the machines.

In fact, if your processor has the "nx" bit (look in the "flags") line in
/proc/cpuinfo, you will get a performance increase in system calls by using
the SMP kernel even on single-processor systems. I don't recall the
particulars of this, but there was a thread on fedora-devel a while ago
about it if you care to search. (This is one reason SMP is enabled in all
kernels in FC6.)

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>