Re: SMP Kernel on non-SMP Machine

W Strater wrote:
> I just installed FC5 on a Pentium 4 based machine and ended up with a
> 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp kernel. I ran `yum update` and was upgraded to
> 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp. The problem is that my motherboard, Intel
> D865PERL, is a single CPU motherboard and my Intel CPU P4 2.8 pre-dates
> any dual core technologies. The /proc/cpuinfo did list two CPU's.
>
> Probably irrelevant but worth mentioning. I installed FC5 on the first
> partition of a second hard drive of a dual boot machine and boot off of
> a CD.
>
> As a side note, FC5 was installed on 2 Core Duo machines at work. The
> first machine has a lame core, confirmed by Redmont, and has a
> 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 kernel. The second machine has two functioning cores
> and has a 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp kernel. The /proc/cpuinfo of the second
> machines lists 2 single core CPUs not 1 dual core CPU.
>
> Wes.

As others have said, the P4 with hyperthreading enabled will show up
as 2 CPUs with a SMP kernel. As far as the Core Duo processors, if
both processors are working, then you do have 2 CPUs. Each core is
one CPU. The fact that they are on one chip does not change that.

If I remember correctly, the Core Solo processors are a Core Duo
that one core failed, and has been disabled.

Mikkel