Re: SMP Kernel on non-SMP Machine

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 12:51 -0700, W Strater wrote:
> I just installed FC5 on a Pentium 4 based machine and ended up with a
> 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp kernel. I ran `yum update` and was upgraded to
> 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp. The problem is that my motherboard, Intel
> D865PERL, is a single CPU motherboard and my Intel CPU P4 2.8
> pre-dates any dual core technologies. The /proc/cpuinfo did list two
> CPU's.

As, others have already mentioned, it is probably because the processor
has hyperthreading. Even if it isn't enabled in the BIOS, it sill has
that capability, so it installs the SMP kernel.

Now, we used to do this at work (on RHEL) without any problems. We also
installed the SMP kernel on machines that were single processor with no
hyperthreading. We did this so that developers were working with the
same kernel, no matter which machine they were using. Everything ran
just fine with the SMP kernel on all the machines.
--
Doug

Random Thought:
Windows found - Remove? (Y)es (S)ure (F)ine (O)K