Re: Image Browser

Tim:
>> I can't imagine what's frightening about eog.

Kostas Sfakiotakis:
> Well since i haven't used it before ( am a KDE user ) , possibly i
> might have misunderstood something for example if one of my images was
> saying at the bottom line ( Trasfering data from ... ) might have
> given me the impression that eog was trying to access the net not the
> local image file .

Hmm, I don't see any such text, though I do see a creeping progress bar
showing that the program is doing something while decoding a JPEG that
it's about to show.

> (eog:3742): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion
> `window != NULL' failed
>
> Now the above message was something i got from eog , i don't think
> it's very important but i don't understand either .

I've seen various similar things from lots of different programs, though
I don't get anything like that with eog (on FC4).  I don't know whether
they're important error messages, or not.  But I get the impression that
some programmers don't run their programs from the command line, don't
see the warnings, and consider that if their program doesn't
spectacularly bomb out, that all is well.  Start up evolution from the
command line, and you get a flurry of complaints while it starts up.

>> One thing I've found  annoying about various viewers that I've tried,
>> is how slow it is between wanting to view a file, and getting to see
>> it.  None of Nautilus gThumb, or eog, are quick to start up.

> Am uncertain on what you mean here . For example i tried eog for a
> second time today ( the open directory option ) on a directory
> with 100 images . Everything was straight forward . I even changed
> to full screen and the delay between 2 images was no more than a
> second maximum 2 seconds . Same deal is with gthumb , i can't speak
> about Nautilus since i haven't used it.

I don't have the fastest of machines (450-560 MHz PCs), but none of
these Linux picture viewing/browsing applications come close to the
speed of Irfanview, for example, running on Windows on the same box.
They're slow to start, and slow to flip between images.

I read messages from the public lists.