Re: 10TB RAID issues

The bottom line is that unless you employ gross hacks, you will not be
able to both partition and boot from an array larger than 2TB.  The
standard MS-DOS partition table maxes out at 2TB, so for larger
devices you need to use the new style GPT (GUID Partition Table), but
then you cannot boot from that device.  (HP says they have a way to do
so, and have conveniently patented it.)

Thanks for all the suggestions. GPT labels are what came out of the box.

Another option is to enable 2TB auto-carving in the 3ware BIOS and
recreate your arrays.  This will present the arrays as a number of 2TB
drives to the OS; you can join them all via LVM and then create
volumes out of that.

The latter option is probably the simplest, but I haven't evaluated
the performance aspect yet.

That's another possibility to add to the list - I'll probably investigate XFS first. I don't need to boot from these arrays - I already have a system disk and mirror disk in place.

m> Have installed FC4

With just a few weeks until FC4 goes to Legacy, are you really sure
you don't want to install FC5 or something like Centos?

If the truth be told, I am using Scientific Linux 4.3 but I didn't want to be told to go elsewhere (as this list has proved to be very helpful to me in the past)

:)

Thanks again

Mark