Re: Where to mount shared vfat partitions?

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 19:34 +0800, Chong Yu Meng wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 08:52 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> > Chong Yu Meng wrote:
> > > Actually, why do you even have
> > > directories with data in /mnt? Although it is possible to use /mnt as a
> > > normal directory, I normally use it only for mount points to removable
> > > storage -- but, hey, whatever floats your boat.
> >
> > As I remember it, that was where all mounts went on Red Hat Linux if
> > they didn't fit into the normal scheme, including things like vfat
> > partitions shared with other OSes on the same machine. I believe that
> > was "suggested" by the early installers, but obviously it's been years
> > since I used one of them...
> >
> > Basically, you could either have all your mount-points (Debian-style)
> > under / (e.g.  /cdrom, /win95) and use /mnt for a "scratch" mount point,
> > or you could have all your mount-points under /mnt (e.g. /mnt/cdrom,
> > /mnt/win95 and /mnt/misc). (This was before the days of /media, which as
> > far as I can tell was an attempt at a compromise that left /mnt free but
> > stopped you having too many folders directly in /).
> >
> > Googling /mnt/windows site:redhat.com gives official Red Hat
> > documentation (including one for RHEL 4) suggesting that this is the
> > place to put mount points.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
>
> Thanks ! That clears up a lot of my thinking.

/mnt is where you'd want to put more permanent mounts.  /media was
really created as a place for udev to mount removable media (CDs, DVDs,
FLASH drives, cameras, ZIP drives, etc.) on the fly--hence the name
"/media".

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-   The light at the end of the tunnel is really an oncoming train.  -