Re: Sendmail using fetchmail w/o sm-client on dial up

Bob Taylor wrote:
On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 10:42 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 15:08 -0700, Bob Taylor wrote:
I have service sendmail restart in my email script because out going
email wasn't being sent and I could not find any way to get sendmail to
send it as sendmail -q didn't work. So...what happens if I remove sm-
client??? This is with a dial up ISP. Currently on FC3 waiting for RH to
upgrade RHEL.
Use:

# sendmail -q -Ac

to run the client queue.

Paul.

Thanks Paul. Another question. Can submit.cf be identical to sendmail.cf?

It certainly shouldn't be because they're for two different things.

submit.cf is used only for processing mail generated locally (which is stored in /var/spool/clientmqueue) and only delivers it to the local MTA.

sendmail.cf is the general configuration file for the MTA itself, which uses /var/spool/mqueue to queue mails.

The use of two separate queues means that sendmail doesn't have to be installed setuid root; writing to /var/spool/clientmqueue is done using a setgid (to smmsp) sendmail program, and the main MTA just runs as root so that it can deliver mail to all users.

Paul.