Re: Sony digital camera

Sam Varshavchik:
>>> 1)  After copying the jpg files off the camera, open them in Gimp then
>>> save them.  This will reduce the file size by at least half, without
>>> any loss in picture quality

Tim:
>> I find that hard to believe.  Perhaps you don't notice any appreciable
>> difference, but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't *any* loss in
>> quality.  That may be important to you later on, if you decide to edit
>> files.

Sam Varshavchik:
> My eyesight is pretty good.  I cannot detect any measurable loss of picture
> quality.  It looks like the Sony camera just does not do any kind of
> compression of the jpg file.  Each picture file is on average about 1.5mb
> long.  Opening and saving the file in Gimp chops it down to about 600kb.

I have no problems going along with any of that (that you can't see any
difference, or that Gimp can make a big change), but any time you save a
JPEG, it's a lossy compression (once when the camera made the JPEG, once
more when you re-compress it through the Gimp, and then anything else
you do to it).  It's not something I'd recommend someone to do ad hoc.

Sure, if you're never going to do anything more to a picture, it's not
too bad to do, if you need to save on drive space.  But if you ever
intend to edit the image, you've already lost one generation.  How much
you'd save would depend on how you've set the Gimp to save JPEGs,
anyway.

I read messages from the public lists.