Re: Sony digital camera

Tim writes:

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 15:45 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
1)  After copying the jpg files off the camera, open them in Gimp then
save them.  This will reduce the file size by at least half, without
any loss in picture quality

I find that hard to believe.  Perhaps you don't notice any appreciable
difference, but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't *any* loss in
quality.  That may be important to you later on, if you decide to edit
files.

My eyesight is pretty good. I cannot detect any measurable loss of picture quality. It looks like the Sony camera just does not do any kind of compression of the jpg file. Each picture file is on average about 1.5mb long. Opening and saving the file in Gimp chops it down to about 600kb.