Re: Use of Cups printing in a home network.

On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 20:07 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 18:33 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > No entry is needed in the clent.conf file if the machines are on the
> > same lan. In fact if you put that line in a clients client.conf file
> > the machine will not be able to print to a local printer on the client
> > machine.
>
> Not entirely true...  Just to be pedantic, if you put the machines own
> name in the client.conf file, it will print to itself.  The client's own
> other CUPS config files can be used to refer to other printers.
>
> Messy, but do-able.  ;-)  Though I can't think why you might want to do
> that.
I don't think what you said is pedantic, just wrong. If you identify the
client machine as its own server its printer is the only one it will be
able to print to. I am not sure what CUPS config files you suggest will
allow printing to other printers on the network. Which are they?
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>