Re: Use of Cups printing in a home network.

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 06:57 -0700, Randy Wyatt wrote:
> On 6/30/06, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Ordinarily, this is easy to do.  Set up your server, do nothing with the
> > > clients, and the default firewall options lets local printing sort
> > > itself out.
> > >
> > > When that doesn't work, you may have to rethink how your firewall is set
> > > up.  You may have to specify the server address in the
> > > client's /etc/cups/client.conf file.  You may have to hand-edit the
> > > server /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file to listen to the local network and
> > > allow local connections.
> > >
> > > Read those config files, and the corresponding manuals/documentation.
> >
> > I have done all this but look carefully at the firewall provided by the
> > DSL router. It just does not work. Browsing from server jsut does not
> > occur. I have done this many times with a standard lan and it has always
> > worked. So I am stumped.
> >
> > I can't be the only one to want to do this. What do othere do?
> > >
> > --
> > Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > --
> >

> >From a client,  telnet printserver 631
>
> The firewall on the DSL router is only for inbound connections
> usually, and anything on the LAN portion acts just like a hub.
> Are you possibly using different subnets?ll other services ssh, sftp, etc. work between the machines

I don't think so. All the other services (ssh, sftp ., etc) work between
the machines. When on my home network the machines are accessable by
name. Their ips are 192.168,1.100, 192.168.1.101, etc.

There must be a misconfiguratin on in the cupsd.conf but I cna't find
it. No browsing occurs and I can't figure out why. I have done this
several times on other lans and it has worked.

Would someone whose home network has printing working be willing to
share there cupsd.conf with me?
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>