Re: Boot problems (FC4)

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 10:36 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 26 June 2006 10:25, Tim wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 19:16 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > It's somewhat disconcerting that when ntpd failed to make the
> > > connection the whole bootup process failed.  I would have wished for a
> > > failure notice then the rest of the bootup to continue.
> >
> > Is it really the case, or are you mistaking cause and effect?
> >
> Hi, Tim.  I'm not sure, but I don't think I am.
>
> > e.g. Name resolution or networking isn't working, and NTPD being just
> > one thing that doesn't cope with it, but the last thing that you saw.
> >
> No, it wasn't.  Eventually it did continue for a few more steps, and 'enabling
> swap' (or similar) was the last thing I saw.  If you know any way that I can
> get useful info if/when it happens again, I'd be glad to know.
>
> Anne

Hi

Has it ever booted ok?
My system used to hang for a long time on one message, but it was
actually doing something different.
In my case it was smartd doing a disk check or something.

what were the last messages displayed?
what services have you enabled to start at boot time?
(ok this could be difficult if it has never booted!)

Sorry if you have already answered some on these thing, I caught this
thread part way through.

--
Laurence Orchard

*- This messages has been composed of completely recycled characters. -*
*- Letters from previous messages have been broken down into their    -*
*- constituent bits and then reformed to make shiney, new characters. -*
*- These new characters have then been pre-worn to fit in with your   -*
*- existing characters so they do not unduly stand out.               -*
*- This service is brought to you by Linux OpenSource Recycling,      -*
*- a GPL associate company.                                           -*