Re: Boot problems (FC4)

On Friday 23 June 2006 09:38, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I had a shock this morning when my main workstation didn't want to boot,
> using either of the two newest kernels.  The boot process looked normal up
> to addressing the ntp server, where it sat for a long time.  It then
> dropped back into vga text mode, with the last visible message being about
> enabling swap space, and there it hung.
>
> After a few attempts I used Interactive and enabled everything except ntpd,
> when it started up normally.
>
> Has anyone else seen anything like this?

It seems it was a case of a non-elegant falling over.  When I finally got up
and running I sent the above message, and since it appeared to go, I assumed
all was well there.  Certainly I could access everything on the LAN, and it
was quite some time before I realised that, although local traffic was fine,
I could not access the Internet.

It's somewhat disconcerting that when ntpd failed to make the connection the
whole bootup process failed.  I would have wished for a failure notice then
the rest of the bootup to continue.

Anne