Re: FC5 networking question, emachines t3418

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 00:27, Peter Horst wrote:
> nigel henry wrote:
> >[snippage]
> >

> >Hi Peter. Glad you got it fixed. It might be worth looking
> >in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf to see what the driver is for your onboard NIC,
> > then checking in /lib/modules/<any kernel>/kernel/drivers/net  to see if
> > the driver for that card is there.  It's probably worth checking all the
> > kernels you have installed.
> >
> >I'm not suggesting (if the driver for the onboard card is there) messing
> > up your network again, just for the sake of an experiment, unless you
> > want to, that is. An /sbin/modprobe <onboard_NIC_driver_name>  should
> > load it, if it's there, You'd also have to create an alias for it in
> > /etc/modprobe.conf, similar to the one for the new PCI NIC you are using.
> >
> >As you are using eth1 for your working NIC, and eth0 is not available for
> > the new NIC, I'd be interested in seeing what you have in
> > /etc/modprobe.conf.
> >
> >Amen to there still being PCI slots available. I read that some laptops
> > now have no serial ports, which means you're pretty much stuffed if you
> > can't get the built-in Winmodem to play ball.
> >
> >Nigel.
>
> Thanks much. Here is /etc/modprobe.conf (unaltered by me):
>
> -------------------
> alias eth0 forcedeth
> alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-intel8x0 index=0
> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
> }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
> alias eth1 ne2k-pci
> -------------------
>
> I checked kernel/drivers/net and the forcedeth.ko driver is there. Sorry
> to be dim, but does all this just establish that the offending card
> probably had its drivers loaded and that the problem must have lain
> elsewhere?
>
> Thanks!
Hi Peter. All a bit strange as the driver is loaded for the onboard NIC. You
should have been able to set up the network ok with that card.

The only problems I've had were with Debian, and had to add the 8139too driver
for the Realtek 8139 NIC to /etc/modules.

Compared to Soundcards, and Graphics cards. NIC's seem to usually create no
problems.

Sorry if I can't offer a solution to the problem with that card. Perhaps
someone else that has experienced that driver will post back.

anyway, at least your network is up.

All the best. Nigel.