Re: FC5 networking question, emachines t3418

On Monday 26 June 2006 02:37, Peter Horst wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> >Peter Horst wrote:
> >>[snip network issues]
> >
> >[snip helpful advice]
>
> Well, I got sick of mucking about so I grabbed an old NIC out of the
> cupboard and threw it in.  A minute later I was up and running - I
> guessed right that all I had to do was copy & slightly alter
> "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/cfg-eth0" as "cfg-eth1". So I guess it's
> something with the actual hardware on that brand-new machine.  Drag.
> Thanks everyone for all the help, it's definitely appreciated.
>
> Is there any chance this could be considered a bug?  I'd report it if
> there were a hardware database somewhere to check against.
>
> Thank God computers still come with PCI slots :-)
>
> Peter

Hi Peter. Glad you got it fixed. It might be worth looking
in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf to see what the driver is for your onboard NIC, then
checking in /lib/modules/<any kernel>/kernel/drivers/net  to see if the
driver for that card is there.  It's probably worth checking all the kernels
you have installed.

I'm not suggesting (if the driver for the onboard card is there) messing up
your network again, just for the sake of an experiment, unless you want to,
that is. An /sbin/modprobe <onboard_NIC_driver_name>  should load it, if it's
there, You'd also have to create an alias for it in /etc/modprobe.conf,
similar to the one for the new PCI NIC you are using.

As you are using eth1 for your working NIC, and eth0 is not available for the
new NIC, I'd be interested in seeing what you have in /etc/modprobe.conf.

Amen to there still being PCI slots available. I read that some laptops now
have no serial ports, which means you're pretty much stuffed if you can't get
the built-in Winmodem to play ball.

Nigel.