Re: strange and serious problem about user login

Zhen Zhou wrote:
Hi,
Thanks very much for your help, it seems that it works as you
suggested--now I could login as normal user without errors. And one
service I could start--just chmod +r /etc/. -R. now i am fighting with
ssh server. ;-(

This happened when I are curious to make rpm package, now is there a
way to recover the mess-up permissions from last stupid change?

I believe that rpm can do it.  Try:

rpm -a --setperms
rpm -a --setugids

I'm not sure you can use -a in that context, so if it fails, fall back to:

rpm -qa | xargs rpm --setperms
rpm -qa | xargs rpm --setugids