Re: evolution locks up on certain messages[Scanned]

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 16:33 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 16:55 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 19:53 +0100, Chris Bradford wrote:
> > > I'm afraid this doen't get any better with the most recent release.
> >
> > Yep, I agree. It always froze up occasionally, but it happens
> > more often now where I use the exchange connector. It also takes
> > much longer to startup and much longer to do a send/receive
> > operation.
> >
> > I haven't tried it again, but the other day I was able to
> > make it freeze up every time I tried when I clicked on a mail
> > address in a message I was reading in order to (supposedly :-)
> > create a new mail message to send to that address. Tried it three
> > times, froze up solid every time, had to kill -9 all the
> > evolution processes and start over (I was able to just do a
> > plain "new mail" operation then type in that address manually).
> >

> All this is a real mystery to me. I use evolution every day and I find
> it works well. There must be some hardware relared factor here that
> needs to be looked into,

	There are several things that need to be looked into.

	Some have reported that it uses inefficient methods to check mailboxes
over imap.  I can believe it.  I have several hundred mailboxes and it
can take ages to check even stale ones.

	PGP can be a killer (and is vital to me).  If I select another mailbox
or another message while Evolution is doing a verify or a decrypt, I can
kill it dead 2 falls out of three.  Seems to be a timing window in their
(lack of) multitasking.  I try to do NOTHING if the status bar indicates
"Verifying" or "Decrypting".

	Lots of interruption prone failures.  If the network is slow, lockups
rise exponentially.  Yet more timing problems, one would suppose.

	The dain bramaged thing goes and checks mailboxes when you tell it to
exit!  If the status bar is idle and I hit the kill widget, it immediate
goes into a status check on the mailboxes (recurse back to first point
about inefficient methods) that can take several minutes! It's so bad
that I've gotten into the habit of doing an "Empty Trash" five minutes
before I plan to log out just so it won't take forever to exit.

	I've had to kill evolution and all cohorts several times in the last
couple of hours due to timing hangs in moving between mailboxes, some of
which included verifying in-line PGP signatures.  Virtually all of the
hangs were left with a "Verifying... 100%" on the status bar.

	The more mailboxes you have and the more archived messages you have in
your mailboxes, the worse Evolution gets (says he who just nuked over
40,000 messages out of the linux-kernel mailing list mailbox...).

	I don't have Exchange Connector enabled at this time because they BROKE
mandatory SSL (we don't allow non-ssl OWA connections) several revisions
ago but it has been worse when I've had Exchange Connector enabled.

> --
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

	Mike
--