Re: When LVM Goes Bad

Andy Green wrote:
Hi folks -

A story about LVM. I believe LVM is the default on Fedora partitioning now, at least I didn't love it that much that I would have selected it, and it is on all my boxes now.

I got it when I installed FC4 on a machine some time back, without
realizing that it put in LVM. I then had a situation similar to yours,
and when I realized what had happened, promptly uninstalled FC4. I had
already just about decided to do that, anyway, and that was the topper.

[snip]

Recovery from LVM metadata corruption is not something that is overburdened by tools to help out, in fact I couldn't find anything useful. By using dd I probed the damaged region and found that it

Understatement of the year.

[snip]

I wouldn't say that LVM is evil from this, but I would suggest that you simply turn it off for partitioning actions where you know there will be no expansion, because the only thing it will ever do for you in that case is to stress you out when you least need it.

Actually, you could have left off "in that case". LVM is not a
reasonable way to handle disc expansion. It is wrong-headed. LVM
*is* evil.

Kudos for the clever way you got around the mess.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.