Re: Nothing heard from MIDI in FC5 with SB Audigy

On Tuesday 20 June 2006 00:26, Matthew Munro wrote:
> nigel henry wrote:
> > On Monday 19 June 2006 20:52, Matthew Munro wrote:
> >> My soundcard appears to be running fine.  I have PCM
> >> sound, and my line input is audible.  But I can't get
> >> KMid to play music.  I see the tracks being played in
> >> `Channel View', but there are no sounds.
> >>
> >> I have tried as root and non-root and I have tried all
> >> the MIDI output devices.  But KMid just spews a load
> >> of ALSA messages.  First some `Couldn't allocate
> >> queue' messages, then a load of `AlsaOut::eventInit :
> >> no source'.
> >>
> >> I have tried `Test MIDI' in Control Centre too, with
> >> no joy.
> >>
> >> What's happening?  Or not happening?
> >
> > Hi Mathew. The only Creative soundcards that you can play midi through
> > are the EMU ones that have a hardware wavetable synth. Open a Konsole
> > (CLI), type alsamixer. Press F2, and you will get details of the
> > soundcard, including the driver. If it shows emu10k1 you are ok, but
> > there is a bit more to do.
> >
> > Presuming that it is an emu10k1 you need to load a soundfont for it to
> > work. To load the soundfont you need to install a package "awesfx"
> > (without the quotes) (yum install awesfx). With awesfx installed, insert
> > the cdrom that came with the soundcard, open it in a file manager. With
> > my Audigy2 soundblaster the soundfont is in.
> > Audio/common/SFBANK/CT4MGM.SF2. Copy and paste it to your /home/user/
> > directory.
> >
> > There are 2 loaders that come with the awesfx package. One, sfxload is
> > for the OSS (open sound system), and the other, asfxload is for Alsa. On
> > the command line type, as root, asfxload <name_of_soundfont> . In my case
> > this would look like.
> > asfxload CT4MGM.SF2
> >
> > Apart from trying to play a midi file with Kmid, you can verify if the
> > soundfont has been loaded by typing, as user.
> > cat /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1  (changing the card No if you have
> > more than 1 card).
> >
> > If Alsamixer shows that the driver is ca0106 the above won't work, but
> > there is a workaround.
> >
> > Please post back. Nigel.
>
> Hi Nigel,
>
> Thanks for a great fix.  Everything in your method worked out.  In
> addition, I managed to run `asfxload CT4MGM.SF2' as non-root.
>
> By the way, do you have any tips for configuring MIDI input?  I haven't
> got around to plugging my MIDI keyboard into the computer yet, but I
> imagine that I would need some advance knowledge.
>
> For example, I see no MIDI inputs in the MIDI Manager of the aRts
> Control Tool.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Matthew

Hi Matthew. Nice that you got it working. I use an Evolution MK-225C USB midi
keyboard. The midi port for your keyboard should show up in, Control
centre/Sound and multimedia/Sound system/Harware tab/Select the midi device.
I don't use aRts for midi. I get all my music apps from planetccrma.
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

There are instructions on the page for installing the repos, etc. To try out
your midi keyboard, I'd install "jack-audio-connection-kit" ,
"qjackctl" (which is the graphical front end to jack) , and
"ZynAddSubFx" (the synth). Qjackctl will allow you to start jack, and also
has a midi connections bay.

With jack started, open ZynAddSubFx, go to connections in qjackctl, make an
audio connection from the synth to alsa_pcm, and make a midi connection from
your keyboard to the synth.

Some music apps automatically make the audio and midi connections in qjackctl.

See how you get on if you decide to go the planetccrma way. I can't help with
aRts and midi, as I've never used it.

All the best. Nigel.