Nothing heard from MIDI in FC5 with SB Audigy

My soundcard appears to be running fine.  I have PCM
sound, and my line input is audible.  But I can't get
KMid to play music.  I see the tracks being played in
`Channel View', but there are no sounds.

I have tried as root and non-root and I have tried all
the MIDI output devices.  But KMid just spews a load
of ALSA messages.  First some `Couldn't allocate
queue' messages, then a load of `AlsaOut::eventInit :
no source'.

I have tried `Test MIDI' in Control Centre too, with
no joy.

What's happening?  Or not happening?