network throughput over a wireless access point is bad for LAN traffic, good for internet traffic?!

Greetings,
I've got an bunch of 802.11b hardware (wireless access point WAP,
pcmcia cards) setup at home, connected to a wired network via a 100Mb
Netgear switch.  The same switch is also connected to the border
router/NAT/firewall box which goes out to the DSL modem/internet.
I've had this setup for years, and haven't made any changes to it
since setting it up originally.

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed that all network traffic over
the WAP that is local (just on my home LAN) is horribly slow (like
1KB/s slow), yet all traffic over the WAP to/from the internet is fine
(about 1.5Mb/s).  I've tried scp/http/nfs and all of them are slow as
can be possibly imagined when between LAN systems (both between
wireless systems, and between wireless & wired systems). The problem
does not exist between wired systems.  There are no errors in
dmesg/messages, its just like something is swallowing 99% of the
packets.

All the systems (wireless and wired) are running FC5-x86, however
there are no firewalls or traffic shaping on the LAN,  just on the
border router/firewall/NAT box, which is never in the equation except
for traffic going to/from the internet (where this problem never
appears).

Anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions/ideas?

thanks!

L. Friedman                                    netllama@xxxxxxxxx
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org