Re: going bonkers trying to install fc-5

On 6/18/06, Peter Horst <phorst@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Boy, I am having such a hard time figuring out what's wrong here.  I had
a couple of old beater computers, tried to install fc-5 from a cd set.
Hash-verified, should have been decent disks, etc. No dice. Neither
computer would "see" the boot disk.  Thought, "oh, well."  Needed a new
box anyway. Picked up an emachines t-3418 yesterday.  Burned fc-5 iso
disk 1 onto a new Taiyo Yuden 700mb disk - verified that the data is
present & accounted for (SHA-1 hash matches). And still! Despite any
changes I make to the BIOS settings, I cannot get this computer to boot
from the install disk - tried booting from boot.iso, from the recovery
disk, nothing. Obviously the common denominator here is me, but I can't
figure out what I might be doing wrong.  Can a disk checkout hash-wise
and still be bad? What am I missing here?  Could it be the windows
software I am using to burn with?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Peter

If you are using CD-RW media use 1X-4X rated media only.  4X-12X media
may work. 12X and higher speed RW media are not most likely not
compatible with older CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drives.

If using a DVD-ROM drive switch to DVD+R or the slow 1X-4X CD-RW
media.  Also regardless of media type burn at a lower speed or half of
the maximum rated media speed.