going bonkers trying to install fc-5

Boy, I am having such a hard time figuring out what's wrong here. I had a couple of old beater computers, tried to install fc-5 from a cd set. Hash-verified, should have been decent disks, etc. No dice. Neither computer would "see" the boot disk. Thought, "oh, well." Needed a new box anyway. Picked up an emachines t-3418 yesterday. Burned fc-5 iso disk 1 onto a new Taiyo Yuden 700mb disk - verified that the data is present & accounted for (SHA-1 hash matches). And still! Despite any changes I make to the BIOS settings, I cannot get this computer to boot from the install disk - tried booting from boot.iso, from the recovery disk, nothing. Obviously the common denominator here is me, but I can't figure out what I might be doing wrong. Can a disk checkout hash-wise and still be bad? What am I missing here? Could it be the windows software I am using to burn with?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Peter