Re: block emails with Fetchmail...

Phil wrote:
> I am using Rquest Tracker email system... So Fetchmail gets the email from a
> pop server and delivers them locally and RT (Request Tracker) picks them up
> from the local mail folder for the user. So procmail would go in between the
> two?

Depending on how you've got things set up, you'll *normally* have
fetchmail -> "mail server" (one of Sendmail, Postfix, Exim, or
Qmail [1]) -> procmail, and it's procmail that delivers the mail to
/var/spool/mail/* (or wherever). You may well have the default sendmail
install doing the forwarding from fetchmail to procmail without you
having set anything up along the way...

It would be instructive to look at the "Received: " headers of e-mail in
the /var/spool/mail/ directory, to see which programs have been handling
them. It would also be interesting to see a copy of your fetchmailrc
file (asterisk out any passwords, obviously).

Hope this helps,

James.

[1] These are often called MTAs: "Message Transfer Agents".

--
E-mail address: james | Dalek invasion at work today. I plugged them into the
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | net: they behave better than some Windows boxes. They