Re: Historical accuracy (was: Re: FC4 or FC5)

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006, jdow wrote:

Joe "Why aren't spell checkers able to read minds?" Klemmer

If desired I can fill you in on some of the history of the
solution for this problem that was pioneered in the PutriDOS
(tm) operating system some years back. The /DWIM option had
some unintended or at least unfortunate side effects.

Back in the DOS/BBS days there were no built-in spell checkers. I was a frequent poster on many Fidonet echos of varying topics, not all of them tech related. My spelling, or the lack thereof, became (in)famous across the country and, indeed, worldwide. People know me by my misspellings (it was better than a digital signature). One day, for my birthday, some friends got together and bought me a dictionary/spell checker TSR so that it would work with any program I ran. Needless to say, this was hailed and celebrated by thousands across the globe.

At times I miss being able to run the spell checker in any app. Right now most things have some form of built-in spellers but they very from app to app. A consistent dictionary & interface would be handy. But then again, I'm not complaining.