Re: Maxtor or WD?

LinuxMedia wrote:
I was somewhat surprised that no one here had anything negative to
say about Maxtor, so I thought I should post my experiences. I'm
glad your experience has been different, sofar, but caveat
emptor...

Actually, I posted early in this thread about how several Maxtor
drives died on me and I had decided to never use Maxtor drives again.
And I had mentioned that I (thought) I read somewhere that Maxtor
doesn't fully support the standardized method for checking for bad
spots on drives. I forget what that whole mechanism is called.

It's called "defect management", which works by marking bad sectors as
unusable, then mapping them to unused sectors.

http://tinyurl.com/l3srz (pcmag.com)

-
K.