Re: iPod nano can't be re-mounted unless it is physically reconnected

Hi Craig,

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 17:42:33 -0700
Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 21:14 -0300, Andre Costa wrote:
> > Hi Kanwar,
> >
> > On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 13:02:30 -0400
> > Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > My digital camera turns off if idle for a few minutes.  When that
> > > happens, I can no longer access it from my laptop.  I get around
> > > it by just power cycling the camera.
> > >
> > > Try turning the ipod off and on while it's still plugged in.  It's
> > > effectively the same as unplugging and plugging it back in.
> >
> > Thks for the tips. It could be the automatic powerdown, indeed, but
> > unfortunately that's not the case with the iPod. It is still on but
> > Linux refuses to see it. My guess is that is has something to do
> > with HAL daemon, because /dev/sda2 is only recreated when I
> > "re-plug" the iPod. I have zero HAL knowledge to risk any other
> > elaborated guess, though... any takers?
> ----
> this worked for me in FC-4 but I haven't fooled with it since I went
> to FC-5
>
> $ cat $/HOME/.gtkpod/gtkpod.out
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> sudo /usr/bin/eject /dev/sda2
> sudo /sbin/modprobe -r sbp2
> sudo /usr/bin/eject /dev/sda2
>
> tail -n 5 /etc/sudoers
> # Cmnd alias specification
> Cmnd_Alias IPOD=/sbin/modprobe -r sbp2
> Cmnd_Alias EJECT=/usr/bin/eject /dev/sda2
> # User privilege specification
> craig   ALL=(ALL) ALL
> craig   ALL= NOPASSWD : IPOD, EJECT

Cool, thks for sharing this. But, AFAICS this works for removing the
device, right?. With this you did not have such problems (iPod not
coming back unless it is reconnected)?

Regards,

Andre

--