Re: Red Hat CEO Szulik Looks Forward

Craig White wrote:
[...]
I guess if you extend Gene logic...Bill Gates only gives interviews to
people that distribute content in WMV format and Steve Jobs only does
interviews in QuickTime format...

Is this not the case in a majority of the instances?

no matter how you try to retreat on your statement, Matthew Szulik is
charged with publicizing Red Hat's role in the computer industry and if
he were to try to limit the methodologies, he would also limit his
audience...

True.

without considering the notion that he has no control over
the technologies used by independent news organizations.

Well, given Ziff-Davis's track record in teaching the school of how to take over a publication and run it into bankruptcy, I do not personally give them credit for having enough smarts to open the umbrella they may be carrying if someone finds the instructions usually written on the heel. As to actually calling them a "news organization", that does tend to exceed the bounds of credibility given their past performance as a publisher. Their specialty seems to be in obituaries.

the schmuck part is evidenced by your statement, "Firefox called up the mplayer plugin, which worked just fine. My
problem with this is more religious than anything else."

Nobody twisted your arm to install this 'sacreligious' plugin...you
chose to do so willingly but apparently have no conviction behind your
choice.
Frankly, I don't recall how it got installed other than it was installed so I could play or listen to the stuff my kids & grandkids send me. And thats far more important a consideration. I'll also state that on this system, with only one or 2 exceptions, yum installed it, so it at least came from an 'approved' repo since the only one I've added was for the java install early on. So to me its a shrug, I couldn't care less as long as it works.

So explain to me the diff between realplayer doing it, and mplayer doing it. Where is the so-called sin you are intimating I should be so Catholic about when I'm an American Baptist (when I go which isn't nearly often enough. :( )

Craig

--
Cheers, Gene