Re: Locked up again! What can I check- I'm on another box

Dotan Cohen schreef:
> On 18/06/06, Paul Ward <pnward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have used fc3, 4 & 5 and they all locked up on my 2000+ amd in
>> runlevel 5 or when Xorg was running, I did some googling and found a
>> common cause was people with the standard build which uses LVM for
>> root, as soon as I rebuilt th e PC and used a normal EXT3 partition
>> every thing worked, I have been using this build for about  weeks now
>> and never looked back.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>

> Last night I switched the drive places on the ribbon, and it's been up
> all night. So far so good- almost 12 hours uptime.
>
> I personally don't like LVM and I did set the partitions manually
> during install, being careful NOT to use LVM. The partition manager
> part of the install is a pain- I had to manually set which blocks each
> partition used in order to get them in the order that I want them
> (/boot first, / second, /home third). But now when I look in fstab I
> see this:
>
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> LABEL=/home/dotancohen  /home/dotancohen/music  ext3    defaults        1 2
> LABEL=/home/dotancohe1  /home/dotancohen/pictures ext3
> defaults        1 2
> LABEL=/home/dotancohe2  /home/dotancohen/video1 ext3    defaults        1 2
> LABEL=/home/dotancohe3  /home/dotancohen/video2 ext3    defaults        1 2
> proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> LABEL=SWAP-hda2         swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
>
> Are those labels LVM? I don't see any reference to hda, hdb, etc and
> I'm a bit worried.
>
> Dotan Cohen
> http://technology-sleuth.com
> 32

FC references the partitions by their labels instead of by their /dev/*.
this makes it very easy to know which partition is which in case you
have multiple drives and have to change one.
since your fstab doesn't show any lvm volumes your not using them.

--

Facts are stuborn things