"Cannot read VPD keys" bug

Greetings:
  I am using FC4 on an e-Machines T6420 (Upgrading to FC5 is not an
option, it's much worse all around).  Everything works fine for me
except the blasted error report

eth0: -- ERROR --
Class:  internal Software error
Nr:  0x19e
Msg:  Vpd: Cannot read VPD keys

every second into /var/log/messages.  A quick kludge of setting that
file to zero size prevents any growth.

Some time ago there was a flurry of reports and suggested quick fixes
for this, but I have not seen any that worked when tried on this
machine.  The error goes away, of course, if the network is shut down.
Since this machine does not require continual connection to the
internet, another dumb workaround would just be to turn eth0 on when
needed and then off.  The NIC card is a D-Link DGE-530T a couple of
years old.

Has anyone further ideas about this problem?

GAG