Re: FC4 or FC5

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 16:35 -0400, Sean wrote:

> > > Choosing the GPL is no more a political statement than choosing
> > > a proprietary or BSD or MIT or any other license.
> >
> > We've been through this many times already.  The GPL is the
> > only one that claims control over other people's work.
> >

> No.  It doesn't claim control over anyone elses work.

Now we are back to the RIPEM example where a separate work
using only the published library interface to a GPL'd work
was threatened with legal action.

> It
> claims control of the work delivered under the GPL.  If you
> want to use a GPL work you have to agree to its license.

And once again, it has nothing to do with 'using' a work.  It
has to do with distributing what someone could imaginatively
call a derived work.

> If
> you don't like it's license do not use the GPL work, and you'll
> have no problems at all.  If you use a GPL work, then you have
> to accept its license.

And again, not using GPL'd works seems to be your favorite solution,
which makes it odd that you claim to like the license.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx