Re: FC4 or FC5

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 11:45 -0400, Sean wrote:

> Heh, well the GPL is what it is.  It may not be the easiest system
> to integrate fully into our economy, but there is no denying its
> success at encouraging the development of useful software.

That's not clear at all.  There's plenty of useful software with
less restrictive licenses and not much to demonstrate any
cause and effect between the GPL and development.   X and nfs
probably wouldn't have been created at all under GPL; perl wisely
uses a dual license to avoid being locked in or out of either camp.

> It is
> quite attractive to many developers, companies, and users.  Since
> we're all here chatting on this particular list it seems we all
> benefit from it too.

Or, they just put up with it because most of the time it doesn't
do too much damage to the existing projects.  It's almost certain
that all of us also run software under different licenses with
no ill effects to the machines or users.  Gcc is probably the only
thing that everyone really needs that is GPL'd, although the *bsd
kernels might not run on quite as much hardware as linux these days.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx