Re: Dead disk

I asked:

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Could you elaborate a bit more on this? I'm araid that my power over
> the command line is very limited. And I'm not exactly a CS major!

Well, how often does the system crash if you just leave it alone in
runlevel 5? It sounds like it's a few times an hour. If so, just leave
it for three hours, and use the uptime command to make sure it hasn't
crashed and rebooted.

I would have suggested something like

[james@kendrick tmp]$ dd if=/dev/urandom of=testcase bs=1M count=10
10+0 records in
10+0 records out
10485760 bytes (10 MB) copied, 3.32386 seconds, 3.2 MB/s

to generate a 10 MB test case,

[james@kendrick tmp]$ bzip2 -k testcase

to bzip2 it (the -k keeps the original),

[james@kendrick tmp]$ bzcat testcase.bz2 > testcase2
[james@kendrick tmp]$ cmp testcase testcase2

to uncompress it to a different file, and to check that the result is
the same as the original.

This ought to exercise the kernel, the processor, and memory. If you use
a large enough testcase, it will exercise disk, as well.

Or, if you've got space, you could just
tar jcf ~/usr.tar.bz2 /usr
to tar up the contents of /usr.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Space Opera: General term for a subgenre of adventure
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | SF in which the men are heroic, the women beautiful,