Re: Dead disk

On 16/06/06, James Wilkinson <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 * Have you tried memtest86? It's on all the recent Fedora install CDs
   and DVDs (type memtest86 at the first prompt). It will diagnose
   (most) memory errors.

I have, it ran all last night. Found nothing. I have it on Hiron's Boot Disk.

 * Have you tried booting into runlevel 3 and run as much as you know
   how to in text mode? Something involving /dev/urandom, bzip2 and cmp
   might be a good idea.

Could you elaborate a bit more on this? I'm araid that my power over
the command line is very limited. And I'm not exactly a CS major!

   If the system is any more reliable doing this, then suspect the
   graphics hardware or drivers.

Hope this helps,

James.

Dotan Cohen