Re: Dead disk

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> After some uptime, my system hangs- it is not responsive to keyboard
> nor mouse. The red disk light is not on, and there is not response to
> CTRL-ALT-DEL or any other keypresses. This is on a one-hour old
> system. The last system, Kubuntu did the same thing. This started
> abouth two weeks ago, but has been becoming more frequent. The machine
> is a P4 256MG RD-RAM machine. Does this seem to be a hardware fault?
> How can I check it? Thanks.

 * Have you tried memtest86? It's on all the recent Fedora install CDs
   and DVDs (type memtest86 at the first prompt). It will diagnose
   (most) memory errors.

 * Have you tried booting into runlevel 3 and run as much as you know
   how to in text mode? Something involving /dev/urandom, bzip2 and cmp
   might be a good idea.

   If the system is any more reliable doing this, then suspect the
   graphics hardware or drivers.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "Land Rover say it is permanent, I say I have a
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | large selection of spanners and a big hammer..."