Re: Dead disk

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 01:21 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> My new machine was starting to flake out on me, kernel panics, rebooting
> as a result by itself. Then the power supply conked out. I took it back
> to the dealer who said 'something must have spiked it..." I said, "Yeah,
> right! It's on a battery backup UPS so nothing spiked it, it just died!"
> and gave him the 1000 yard stare.

I take issue with vendors proclaiming something spiked a power supply.
The mains has some rough spots, and always will, power supplies should
be built to withstand it.  There should be EMI filtering to minimise
disruptions caused by noise from the mains supply, and vice versa (the
power supply being a nuisance to other things on the same circuit).
There should be over-voltage protection in a switch-mode power supply as
a matter of course.

So, even if you didn't have something, like a UPS/filter/etc. between it
and the mains, if the power supplied died from a spike, the power supply
should be replaced by those who built a sub-standard unit.

I read messages from the public lists.