Re: Maxtor or WD?

Peter Gordon wrote:
Hadders wrote:

returned them and got two Seagate AS series SATA disks. No problems. For
this reason I'm now thinking twice about using Western Digital.   I've
had bad experiences in the past with Maxtor too, so I prefer Seagate
these days.

For what it's worth, I've got a WD Raptor (SATA/150, 10000 RPM, 8 MB cache)
in my system and, aside from running a bit warmly, it's given me no troubles
in the approx. half-year that I've had it.

I've also a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 (PATA/133, 7200 RPM, 8 MB cache) which
is nearly a year old and also runs without troubles. (I use this for my
multimedia storage as well as for backup storage of various things.)

Perhaps it's simply a fortunate coincidence on my part...

Yeah but the Raptor is a different beast again. The JD series is your run of the mill 7200rpm SATA disk. In fact I've sold a number in the past, and this is the first time I've thought twice about them.
Also, I think the Raptor comes with a 5 year warranty? or was it 3?

All I do certain is steer well clear of Samsung... evil experience a while back. Put me off for good.