Re: yum just removed nvidia modules?!

On 6/14/06, Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 16:25 -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
> In this case, the kernel update comes from Fedora and the video module
> comes from livna.  There is a known delay in getting the video drivers
> updated, so an automatic update of the kernel is a problem if you are
> rebooting frequently and it uses the newer kernel before the driver has
> been updated.

Got a question for ya, I just got an Athlon 64 3200 machine which I
installed my i386 FC5 cd's to. I'm lurking and waiting to see if
everyone agrees that the 64bit install is solid. But, when I try to

64-bit works very well.  Yeah, there are some things where you might
have to work around some things, like Flash and other 32-bit browser
plugins, but most issues are fairly well documented if you don't mind
the one time setup if you really need/want such things.

install the nVidea module drivers, yum refuses to do so saying it need
an i686 kernel installed. This is after it dnloads everything and barfs
and erases the rpms as it shuts down. I haven't gotten as far as getting

Huh?  What exactly are you trying to do?  You have 32-bit FC5
installed, right?  And you are trying to install the 32-bit nVidia
drivers?  It works much better if you are specific.  Actual commands
and error messages are nice.

the Dvd burner working yet, to burn FC5 / 64. I'm standing in a pool of
my own ignorance of things 64 bit. Can I go ahead and devel on this
machine and update/upgrade to 64bit? Or is that done only from a CD

You can in no way, shape, or form, upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.  You
must reinstall.  In theory, it might be possible.  In practice, I have
not tried, but I have seen emails from people who did, and it didn't
go so well.

install and I best get about it before investing time in re-configuring
this machine to my personal needs?? Chicken or the Egg? Which DvD burn

You can save config files and migrate them over when you reinstall.
And if you have a separate /home partition (a good thing to have,
because:) you can choose not to format that and thus keep all of your
user files/settings.  That said, if you want to go 64-bit sometime
(before FC6 comes out, at least), I suggest getting and installing
that instead, before you spend time tweaking things.

application stands the best chance of burning a Fedora Dvd? Or, can yum

k3b is probably the best and easiest if you are unfamiliar with the
process (it's a nice GUI program for CD/DVD buring).  And it's a
pretty good one even if you don't fall into that category.  You might
have to install it.

handle the procedure? Lotsa questions, sorry. You just seem to have an
experienced perspective. :) Ric

That's what we are here for.  Ask away.  Though, if you are going to
be asking new questions, it is usually best to start a whole new
thread by sending an email directly to the list rather than replying.
Keeps things more organized for others who come along with the
same/similar questions.

Jonathan