Re: yum just removed nvidia modules?!

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 20:25 +1000, Danny Yee wrote:
> Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
> > And I am quite frankly surprised that any one woudl allow yum to
> > update their machine automatically every night.
>
> That's the default configuration... and for desktop machines it
> doesn't seem so terrible.

I don't think the daily update is default.
Mine _never_ has been set to do an automatic update by default.
If I want to do the daily update I can simply do a "service yum start"
and it will turn on the nightly update. At present this is the status of
mine (as it always is with my default install parameters):
   [jeff@raptor ~]$ /sbin/service yum status
   Nightly yum update is disabled.

I admit that I do not do a default desktop or server install, but with
the custom install it certainly is *not* the default to do automatic yum
updates.

IMHO allowing a system to do the automatic update *is* a problem, for
exactly the reason the you noted in the original post.  If a critical
part of the system is updated but the matching _mandatory_ part is not
in sync then you lose.

In this case, the kernel update comes from Fedora and the video module
comes from livna.  There is a known delay in getting the video drivers
updated, so an automatic update of the kernel is a problem if you are
rebooting frequently and it uses the newer kernel before the driver has
been updated.