Re: yum just removed nvidia modules?!

On 6/12/06, Danny Yee <danny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In order to put the latest kernel onto my machine, it not only removed
the older kernel (which shouldn't happen, according to my understanding
of yum.conf defaults) but also, along with that, the nvidia modules.
This stops X working...

I have noticed this with yum before, with kernel updates I never  do
"yum -y update keren*"

And I am quite frankly surprised that any one woudl allow yum to
update their machine automatically every night.

Don't get me wrong, yum is great, I like it, but it's just a programe,
it's not intelligent and giving it permision to do what ever it wants
to your box is foolish.

About once a week I open a terminal and su to root and do "yum
check-update" and then decide for my self what I really need to fix
and what is not important, for example, OpenOffice updates so often,
and is such a huge download for what I assume is sometimes icon
changes!!!!

--
Rob