Re: printconf-tui doesn't seem to do remote printers

Aaron Konstam writes:
> On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 15:47 -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > Unfortunately, the reality of printconf (or perhaps only the -tui version)
> > appears quite other than the guidance provided at:
> >
> > http://fcp.homelinux.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=552
> >
> > Or, I'm going about it all wrong (which is certainly possible).
> >
> > I'm trying to configure a printer client (eventually several) to live on
> > our headless server at the data center, so that people can work on the
> > server but print directly to a local print server.
> >
> > I think I see how to do this via /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, but guidance at
> > the above URL says "don't edit by hand because the file will be
> > overwritten."
> >
> > Yet, when I launch printconf-tui, I see no option to configure a new
> > remote printer over ipp. Selecting 'new' offers only local, lpd, ncp,
> > and jet direct.
> >
> > What am I missing? Is there another way?
>
> The other way is as follows. Configure your printer on the server using
> cups web interface.(localhost:631)

So, is the following from the above referenced doc wrong? I admit I
haven't tested whether it is ...

  "Important: Do not edit the /etc/printcap file or the files in the
/etc/cups/ directory. Each time the printer daemon (cups) is started or
restarted, new
   configuration files are dynamically created. The files are
dynamically created when changes are applied with the Printer
Configuration Tool as well."

> If the the client printer are in ther same lan that ios all you need to
> do, and the clients will find the printerd through cups broadcasting.
>
> Otherwise in the /etc/cups/client.conf identify the server on the:
> ServerName line.
>
> But I will admit I don't know what it means to work on the headless
> server and print to the local print sever, or why you need more than one
> print client on your headless server. We are I think using the word
> server in different ways,

Seems to be like X terminology--another case of "Who's on first?"

PS: My server is at a data center in Dallas, and my staff/associates are
scattered around the planet. I'm currently investigating FreeNX--another
topic.