Trivial Shutdown "problem"

I have a sound I play at shut-down: used the same one for years so
everyone thinks I'm a naff old geezer.  A female voice exclaims "Oh
no!".  Except that she doesn't.  It's worked find in Windows and Mepis,
but in Fedora I get "Oh N" - the last syllable is cut off. Is there
anything simple I can do to slow down shut down so that I can hear the
extra "o!"?  When I get quizzical looks I like to explain that my
computer doesn't want to be shut down.  Especially as it's running
Linux. Naff old geezer may not be too far out.

And in case you're wondering, I have an equally sad start-up sound: a
bored female voice asks "Are we having fun yet?"

--
Ollie K

There is no such thing as a happy perfectionist.